1/16/2016

Let's Talk About | 16 Books In 2016

In one of my last posts I shared my Bookish resolutions for 2016, and in there, I said that I wanted to read 16 specific books throughout the year. In this post I want to share those 16 books, and maybe give a little explanation as to why they are on the list. Now, these were all released before 2016, because I want to try and read the books that I already have on my shelves. The majority of the books are young adult and contemporary, and a lot of them have LGBTQ+ main characters. 


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling (MG/Childrens, Fantasy)
I need to get on with this series. I read the first two books years ago, and for some reason I have yet to continue with the series. Seriously, I'm bad at series. I’ve heard that this is a lot of people’s favorite of the Harry Potter books, so that makes me excited.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (YA, Fantasy)
So many people have praised this series, and it sounds so interesting. I'm honestly not much of a fantasy reader, but I want to start reading more from that genre, and I think that this will be an good place to start. Or it won't, we'll see. 

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson (YA, lgbTq+)
When this book first came out, I didn't really pay it that much attention. Then my cousin read it, and she loves it, and she has told me to read this ever since. So, this year I plan on picking it up, and I hope to love it as much as my cousin did. Also, it deals with an important topic, so that's one more reason to read it.

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour (YA, Lgbtq+)
I desperately need to read more f/f books, and this is on the top of my list. I've heard multiple good things about this, and it's been on my shelve for a while, so I think it's time to finally pick it up. 


Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley (YA, Lgbtq+)
I actually gave a copy of this to my cousin for Christmas, even though I haven’t read myself. Yet. I've heard people raving about this book, and I really like the premise of the story. I hope to pick this one up, sooner rather than later.


More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera (YA, lGbtq+)
This book is not on the top of my imaginary tar pile, but that is not to say I'm not excited to read it. I am, but I just have some books other books I want to get to before this. But it is on this list for a reason, and I will read it this year.

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon (YA, Contemporary)
I talked about this one in my last Top Ten Tuesday post. It’s a book that was very talked about last year. It has gotten a lot of great reviews, and the premise of this story sounds really intriguing. 

Because You’ll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas (YA, Contemporary)
I don't know much about this one other than what the goodreads summary has told me. However, just from that, I'm pretty excited for this one. From what I can tell, it focuses a lot on the friendship between the two male characters, which is kind of a rare thing to see in YA, and that makes me even more excited to read it.

Your Voice Is All I Hear by Leah Scheier (YA, Contemporary)
From what I can tell, this book deals with love, and with mental illness. I haven't read that many books that has a protagonist with a mental illness, and that has to change. It's important to get those voices out, and be heard. I'm very excited to start this one - and I plan on doing so within the next couple of months.


Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld (YA, Lgbtq+)
I’ve never read anything by Scott Westerfeld, but I’ve heard good things about his writing. Of the books he has written, I think Afterworlds would be something right up my alley. Also, as far as I know there is a some f/f romance in this. 

Something Like Spring by Jay Bell (lGbtq+)
This is one of my favorite series of all time, and I’m very eager to continue it. I adore Jay Bell’s writing, and it’s always a joy to read his books - even though they will make me weep. This book features some new characters, which is always a delight when it comes to this author.

All Lined Up by Cora Cormack (NA, Contemporary)
I’ve read Losing It by the same author before, and it was and okay book, but nothing to write home about. Even though I didn’t enjoy the story that much, I did like the writing a lot, so I want to see if this book is more my cup of tea. It sounds pretty interesting, and I’ve heard some really great things about it.

Off Campus by Amy Jo Cousins (NA, lGbtq+)
This series keeps popping up on my goodreads. I’ve read a short story by this author before, and I enjoyed it, so I want to try and read something more of her work. It seems like it's going to be my cup of tea, and if I like this first book, there are luckily a lot more in the series.

Under the Lights by Dahlia Adler (YA, Lgbtq+)
I was so excited when I bought this book, and I have no idea why I haven’t read it yet. I haven’t read anything else by the author, but I’ve heard some amazing things about her writing. Again, I need more f/f stories, so I'm pretty sure this is a must read.

Only EverYours by Louise O’Neill (YA, Science Fiction/Dystopian)
So many people have sung this book’s praises, and it’s made me want to read it so much. I bought it last year, with every intention of reading it, but I never made it that far. It’s very high on my want to read list – as well as Louise O’Neill's other book, Asking For It.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth (YA, Lgbtq+)
I’ve been told so many times that I need to read this book – but it's long. I know it’s “only” about 470 pages, but for a contemporary novel, that seems like a lot. It’s kind of intimidating, and I’m glad that I have it in ebook format, because I’ve seen a physical copy of it, and it’s a brick. But I’m excited to finally get to it this year – which I very much aim to do.

These are the 16 books I really want to read in 2016. Do you have any books, you feel like you just need read this year?

2 comments:

  1. Jeg har selv lige lavet en liste med 16 bøger også. Vi har ikke nogen tilfælles overhovedet :P Jeg har hørt meget godt om The Miseducation...., men coveret fanger mig bare slet, slet, slet ikke! :/ Den ser bare...lidt kedelig ud? Men jeg har også hørt ret godt om den, og den lyder jo også spændende nok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeg vil give dig ret i, at coveret til The Miseducation of Cameron Post er en smule kedeligt at se på - det er i hvert fald ikke lige et cover hvor man tænker 'Wow!'. Forhåbentlig er indholdet bedre end dets ydre! :)

      Delete