2/28/2016

Review | The Girl In 6E by A.R. Torre

Title: The Girl in 6E
Author: A.R. Torre
Published: Janurary 21st 2014
Pages: 352
Format: eBook
Genre: Thriller, Erotica
Rating: ★★★★
Find on: Goodreads

Synopsis:
I haven't touched a human in three years. That seems like it would be a difficult task, but it's not. Not anymore, thanks to the internet. I am, quite possibly, the most popular recluse ever. Not many shut-ins have a 200-member fan club, a bank account in the seven-figure range, and hundreds of men lining up to pay for undivided attention. They get satisfaction, I get a distraction. Their secret desires are nothing compared to why I hide... my lust for blood, my love of death. Taking their money is easy. Keeping all these secrets... one is bound to escape. What if you hid yourself away because all you could think of was killing? And what if one girl's life depending on you venturing into society?

Thoughts:
I went into this book not really knowing what to expect. I’ve seen it around the book community a little bit, but not enough to know more about it that what the synopsis was giving me. When I put this book down at the end, I was pleasantly surprised. It’s not that I expected to not like the book, but I was somewhat hesitant. I’ve read thrillers before, and I’d like to believe that I’ve read my fair share of sex scenes, but the combination? That was something else, and I really liked it.

I found the book to be less graphic than what I expected it to be. Because of the synopsis, I was prepared for much more than what was actually presented to me. However, I quite liked the way that it was balanced out. There definitely are some quite graphic scenes, both sexually, and when it comes to something gorier, but I never found it to be too much. Nonetheless, the book is quite twisted, so keep that in mind if you decide to pick it up.

“Pity is a bitch I’d like to avoid.”

The first half of the book seemed very slow, and it took me a while to actually get into the story. There’s a lot of background information, back story, and build up done, and it took me some time to process all of that. However, right around the 50% mark shit gets real pretty fast. The book really picks up, and everything happens way too fast for my liking. The last bit just seemed a little too crammed, and before I knew it, it was all over, which is a bit of a shame. I would have liked for it to be a little more fleshed out.

I really liked the main character Deanna. I loved seeing how she progressed throughout the story, but also getting a lot of back story on her in the process. Even though a lot of her thoughts and actions may seem a little out there, she seemed like a real, and realistic, character. She’s a smart girl, which shows in the way she’s made a living for all those years she’s been indoors.

While Deanna’s is the main point of view, we do get snippets from some of the other characters once in a while. It was a little confusing in the beginning, because I wasn’t prepared for the switch. But after a while I got used to the style of the switches. I liked the fact that we didn’t just stick with one throughout the entire book. It made the book a little more daunting, because we actually got the perspective of 'the bad guy' in the story.

I wasn’t really a fan of some of the other characters. We get to see a good deal of Deanna’s deliveryman, and I’m still not sure how I feel about him. A lot of times he seemed very out of place, even though he does prove to be helpful. Still, I’m not exactly a fan of his character.

I enjoyed the writing style, and I definitely really enjoyed the book, and I’m very interested in seeing where the next book will take Deanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment